A Virginia State Senator joins us to talk about the ongoing struggle to pass a budget in the Commonwealth. A former Obama appointee tells us why he's running for Prince George's County executive. From Metro to Medicaid, we talk about the week's biggest regional news on the Politics Hour.
Guest Host: Michael Schaffer
A Washington Post poll found that one in three Washingtonians have participated in a protest against Donald Trump or his policies since he was inaugurated in January. Who are these protesters? There is a sharp racial divide in those numbers. Half of white respondents said they attended a protest, but only 16 percent of African Americans and 36 percent of Hispanic and other racial and ethnic groups said they had too. We talk about those numbers and the culture of D.C. street protest with a panel of activists and the journalist behind the poll.
WAMU 88.5 is exploring the local impact of the new administration. Learn more about The Trump Effect.
- Angela Peoples Director, GetEqual; Organizer, No Justice No Pride; @MsPeoples
- Scott Clement Polling Manager, The Washington Post; @sfcpoll
- David Thurston Arts organizer and native Washingtonian who helped organize the inauguration protests; @j20resist
- Aiyi'nah Ford Executive Director of The Future Foundation; @aiyinah
- Jeremiah Lowery Board member of DC for Democracy who has organized many resistance marches in D.C.; @JeremiahLowery1
Most Recent Shows
In order for D.C.'s longtime Eastern Market to survive, merchants say new repairs, signage and management are desperately needed.
A group that includes a parent and two childcare professionals are behind the lawsuit, which questions D.C.'s rule requiring that all providers have associate degrees by 2024.
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is one of the most solemn --and most visited-- war memorials. What is the history behind the tomb? And has the generation it was built for come and gone?