We speak to Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) as he prepares to leave office after four years at the helm.
Conventional wisdom says that opera only appeals to a graying, aging audience. But a group of young Catholic University graduates has set out to dispel that idea. They’ve formed an ambitious new opera company geared to a younger, more diverse fan base. We’ll talk with them about their approach to a tradition-bound art form, and get a live in-studio performance.
- Sarah Philippa Co-founder, Opera Alterna; "Claire," Magnum Opus
- Jay Brock Co-founder, Opera Alterna; Director, Magnum Opus
- Tad Czyzewski Baritone; "Robert," Magnum Opus
- Rob Legge Tenor; "John," Magnum Opus
- Tricia Lepofsky Mezzo-Soprano; "Polyhymnia the Greek Muse of Sacred Poetry," Magnum Opus
- Daniele Lorio Soprano, "Melpomene the Greek Muse of Tragedy," Magnum Opus
- Eric Sillers Baritone; "Robert Schumann," Magnum Opus
- Michael Oberhauser Composer and Conductor, "Magnum Opus"
- Nicolas Catravas Pianist, "Magnum Opus"
Most Recent Shows
Native Washingtonian Rosalind Wiseman went to school with mean girls, then grew up to study them and the wider social dynamics of young women. She joins Kojo with former student Alexandra Petri to discuss the complexities of womanhood at different stages of life.
We discuss the Montgomery County school board decision to shorten spring break by two days and look at the challenges local jurisdictions face when developing academic calendars.
The end-of-year holiday season often inspires Washingtonians to donate time, money or talents to their communities. Kojo explores different opportunities to give back in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.