Amid Washington’s graduation season, we look at the craft of writing and delivering commencement speeches. What advice sticks — and what doesn’t?
Recently, a number of local musicians found themselves with a unique opportunity — they were asked to compose music for the films of silent screen star Harry Langdon. Join Kojo for a live performance of their musical scores, and hear about Langdon films, many of which haven’t been viewed by an audience in over 70 years.
- Ben Redwine Clarinetist; composer; artistic director, St. Andrews Concert Series; leader of Redwine Jazz Band; and E-flat clarinetist with US Naval Academy Band
- Maurice Saylor Woodwinds; co-founder of The Snark Ensemble; and Head Music Librarian, Catholic University
- Andrew Simpson Pianist & accordionist; co-founder of The Snark Ensemble; and Professor of Music Composition, Catholic University
- Phil Carluzzo Guitarist & percussionist; and co-founder, The Snark Ensemble
- Robert Farr Founder, SLAPSTICON Silent Comedy Film Festival
Most Recent Shows
Teaching students to read is a big responsibility. So, what happens when students struggle? And what are local school districts doing to identify and support students with reading disabilities?
Unpacking the D.C. budget, an activist runs for Virginia state senate, and remembering Alice Rivlin.
The D.C. region's independent comedy scene is flourishing. We talk to three stand-up comedians about what makes Washingtonians laugh.