New proposed legislation threatens some of the power D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser exercises over education in the District. Rep. Jamie Raskin is running for a second term in Congress, pledging to protect Maryland's air and federal workers. They both join us in studio.
Guest Host: Matt McCleskey
The blue crab is an iconic harvest of the Chesapeake Bay. But a large percentage of crabs and other seafood consumed in our region actually come from the Gulf of Mexico. As a major oil slick threatens entire ecosystems along the Gulf, we examine how local seafood markets will be affected in the short and long term.
- Douglas Lipton Marquee Professor of Science and Technology, University of Maryland, College Park; Program Leader, University of Maryland Sea Grant Extension Program
- Jeff Black Owner, BlackSalt Fish Market and Restaurant
- Tim Sughrue Vice President, Congressional Seafood
- Larry Simms President, Maryland Watermen's Association
- Sheila Bowman Senior Outreach Manager, Seafood Watch, Monterey Bay Aquarium
Jeff Black on Sustainable Seafood
Jeff Black, owner of BlackSalt Fish Market and Restaurant, talks about sustainable seafood and where some of the specific species in his shop and restaurant originate:
Most Recent Shows
A WAMU series explores gun violence and aggressive policing in the nation's capital.
Kojo interviews WHUR's former general manager on how his technical experience informed his leadership, and how he turned one station into a network of six.
One year after Hurricane Maria struck Puerto Rico, we look at how the local community responded and continues to provide storm relief.