We speak to Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) as he prepares to leave office after four years at the helm.
Guest Host: Matt McCleskey
The blue crab is an iconic harvest of the Chesapeake Bay. But a large percentage of crabs and other seafood consumed in our region actually come from the Gulf of Mexico. As a major oil slick threatens entire ecosystems along the Gulf, we examine how local seafood markets will be affected in the short and long term.
- Douglas Lipton Marquee Professor of Science and Technology, University of Maryland, College Park; Program Leader, University of Maryland Sea Grant Extension Program
- Jeff Black Owner, BlackSalt Fish Market and Restaurant
- Tim Sughrue Vice President, Congressional Seafood
- Larry Simms President, Maryland Watermen's Association
- Sheila Bowman Senior Outreach Manager, Seafood Watch, Monterey Bay Aquarium
Jeff Black on Sustainable Seafood
Jeff Black, owner of BlackSalt Fish Market and Restaurant, talks about sustainable seafood and where some of the specific species in his shop and restaurant originate:
Most Recent Shows
Native Washingtonian Rosalind Wiseman went to school with mean girls, then grew up to study them and the wider social dynamics of young women. She joins Kojo with former student Alexandra Petri to discuss the complexities of womanhood at different stages of life.
We discuss the Montgomery County school board decision to shorten spring break by two days and look at the challenges local jurisdictions face when developing academic calendars.
The end-of-year holiday season often inspires Washingtonians to donate time, money or talents to their communities. Kojo explores different opportunities to give back in D.C., Maryland and Virginia.