The Future of the Fort Reno Concert Series
The future of the long-running concert series at Washington, D.C.'s Fort Reno is in doubt. Organizers recently announced that new policies at the National Park Service and Park Police, which are responsible for the park at Fort Reno, would make it impossible for concerts to take place this summer. Kojo chats with Fort Reno's organizer, Amanda MacKaye, about the future of the concerts - which have been a fixture since the 1960s and featured everyone from Fugazi to the Nighthawks.
Video: Fort Reno Concert Series to Continue
Amanda MacKaye told Kojo Nnamdi on his radio show Monday that the Fort Reno Concert Series would continue, a victory for supporters of the decades-long event who feared it would be canceled because of new National Park Service policies.
"We were able to find some middle ground to meed their needs and find out who we are and how we can best work together," she said of her meeting earlier that morning with the National Park Service and Park Police.
Watch the discussion below.
U.S. Park Police:"There Needs To Be A Dialogue"
U.S. Park Police Lieutenant Allan Griffith said "there needs to be a dialogue" between community event planners and the National Park Service.
"It can't just be turning in a permit and being issued some bureaucratic response," he said Monday on the Kojo Nnamdi show.
He said a discussion earlier that morning with Fort Reno Summer Concert Series founder Amanda MacKaye helped both parties better understand the issues and how to work through them.
Watch Griffith's discussion below.
Watch Full Video
Watch Kojo's full discussion in the studio with Amanda MacKaye, Tara Morrison and Allan Griffith.