The Computer Guys & Gal
They're back! The Computer Guys & Gal are here to update you on the latest from the world of technology. And to answer your questions.
Allison's Turkey Tech Tips
We know we can count on Allison to find us the fun tech news and products for every season. Here are her two picks for Turkey Day:
How could I miss a holiday without finding a website to amuse us by? Eatturkey.com is a site with some interesting recipes: Asian-style deep-fried turkey, turkey artichoke and tomato tapas, and poached turkey Normandy. There's chef cooking demos, virtual menus, and more. But beware - it's sponsored by the National Turkey Federation (yes, they want to sell you more turkeys!)
This app keeps track of your turkey's cooking progress, reminds you when it's time to baste the bird, and alerts you to take your bird out of the oven. It takes into account your turkey's weight and it sells for 99 cents (a deal, since last year it cost $2.99).
Allison's Nook Vs. Kindle Summary:
Nook Color pros:
1. It’s got color, Kindle doesn’t
2. It’s got a touchscreen, and Kindle doesn’t
3. Titles for the Nook- whatever is in Barnes and Noble (over 2xs as many titles)
4. The Nook can handle video- it’s based on Android
5. The Nook has 2 times the storage
6. Barnes and Noble LendMe option—you can lend a book to a friend for up to 14 days (at the moment—may change soon) You can only do this once per book.
So why are people still buying Kindles?
The Kindle pros:
1. The Kindle screen is much better for reading in direct sunlight (though Nook has "full lamination screen film" for reducing glare)
2. The battery life is much better for Kindle (30 days vs. 8 hours for Nook)
3. The Kindle is a smaller size and weight (almost half the weight)
4. With the international-edition Kindle you able to purchase new content and receive periodical subscription updates while outside of the US
5. Books for Kindle are priced cheaper and the device itself currently sells for $60 less than Nook
6. The Kindle has a simple web-browser and a text to speech feature
These lists are based on a few articles and my using both devices. Here’s a good article on the differences.
Items Heard on Today's Show
iPads, Tablets, & Apple News
- No White iPhones from Apple
Technology for People with Disabilities
- iPad Opens New Possibilities for Those with Disabilities
Scheduling Meetings by Poll?