Last week the Federal Trade Commission announced that, along with all 50 states and the District of Columbia, it was taking legal action against four 'sham' cancer charities. Allegations that the groups deceived donors to the tune of $187 million have rippled through the non-profit world. We consider what red flags donors should be on the lookout for and how data can - and can't - help us decide who's a good actor.
The Computer Guys make their first appearance of the new decade. We get predictions for the big stories (and the big busts) in Tech 2010. And get your questions answered.
- Bill Harlow WAMU Computer Guy; and Hardware & Software Technician for MACs & PCs at Mid-Atlantic Consulting, Inc.
- John Gilroy WAMU Computer Guy; and Director of Business Development at SolutionsDevelopers
- Allison Druin WAMU Computer Gal; and Director of the Human-Computer Interaction Lab at the University of Maryland
Items Discussed on Today’s Show
Google Announces Android Smartphone
Women and the Tech Market
Women Responsible for 85 Percent of All Consumer Purchases
Organizing Your Email
Tablet Computers as E-Readers
Microsoft’s Bing App
- Bing App Release for iPhone
Who’s Really on Twitter?
Slow Machine? RegCleaner Could Help
- John’s RegCleaner Pro suggestion
Touch Screens with “Physical Pixels?”
- Millions of pins on new touch screens could bring <a href="http://mcworld-news.blogspot.com/2008/05/nhk-develops-haptic-display-capable-of.html">http://mcworld-news.blogspot.com/2008/05/nhk-develops-haptic-display-capable-of.html”>big advancements and apps like Braille for the blind.
Most Recent Shows
Ethiopia recently held its first elections since the death of former Prime Minister Meles Zenawi. We explore what was at stake in the contests - and what they reveal about the state of democracy in one of America's most valuable allies in Africa.
A growing number of viewers are ending their cable service and relying on streaming subscriptions for their TV viewing. We explore the trends and the logistics of cutting the cord.
As brisket moves from tradition to trend, the price of brisket has skyrocketed. We consider the implications of the so-called "brisket bubble" and consider how commodity prices and trends shape our expectations and diets.