When a private soccer league threatened to displace local pickup soccer groups, it sparked a larger discussion about fair allocation of recreation space in a gentrifying city.
Conventional wisdom says that opera only appeals to a graying, aging audience. But a group of young Catholic University graduates has set out to dispel that idea. They’ve formed an ambitious new opera company geared to a younger, more diverse fan base. We’ll talk with them about their approach to a tradition-bound art form, and get a live in-studio performance.
- Sarah Philippa Co-founder, Opera Alterna; "Claire," Magnum Opus
- Jay Brock Co-founder, Opera Alterna; Director, Magnum Opus
- Tad Czyzewski Baritone; "Robert," Magnum Opus
- Rob Legge Tenor; "John," Magnum Opus
- Tricia Lepofsky Mezzo-Soprano; "Polyhymnia the Greek Muse of Sacred Poetry," Magnum Opus
- Daniele Lorio Soprano, "Melpomene the Greek Muse of Tragedy," Magnum Opus
- Eric Sillers Baritone; "Robert Schumann," Magnum Opus
- Michael Oberhauser Composer and Conductor, "Magnum Opus"
- Nicolas Catravas Pianist, "Magnum Opus"
Most Recent Shows
Over the past four years, D.C. Public Schools has touted lower suspension rates and says administrators are employing more progressive "restorative justice" practices. But a recent Washington Post investigation calls the district's lower rates into question.
The Washington region's transportation planning board voted is studying the idea of building a second Potomac River bridge linking Montgomery County and Northern Virginia.
Jim Vance delivered the news to local Washingtonians for 45 years. But his legacy stretches far beyond the time he spent on the air.