Kojo speaks with Maryland's Attorney General Brian Frosh about his office's expanded powers granted in the most recent General Assembly session. We also discuss the latest plan to make Metro solvent with Metro Board member and Arlington County Board member Christian Dorsey.
Guest Host: Jen Golbeck
In a bold new play for viewers who hate the high cost of cable, Dish Network will offer ESPN and a package of other networks for $20 per month. In a move to let users know the score, Twitter adds a tool that tells you how many people actually read your tweets. And in an era of ubiquitous digital communication, the Sony email hack raises new questions about how to keep private correspondence private. The Computer Guys and Gal discuss these tech topics and more.
- Allison Druin WAMU's Computer Gal; Director of the Human-Computer Interaction Lab and Professor in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland
- John Gilroy WAMU Computer Guy; Director for Business Development for BLT Global Ventures
- Bill Harlow Hardware and Software Technician for MACs & PCs, Mid-Atlantic Consulting, Inc.; and WAMU Guest Computer Guy
Tech In The News
The Computer Guys and Gal point to the biggest tech headlines this month.
Dish Network Deal
- Dish Network announces ESPN and other network shows for $20 a month. What does this mean for the future of cable? Will we all now cut the cord?
- North Korea, Sony and other personal security threats. How secure is any email? Should we change the way we work? How hard was it to shut down North Korea’s Internet for 10 hours?
- What’s next for hackers? The FBI says they may target news organizations.
- How is Bluetooth on wearables a security risk?
- Hacking for ransom: What’s the threat? And how can you protect yourself?
Trends In The New Year
- Twitter analytics let you see exactly how many people actually read your tweets.
- Facebook artificial intelligence will try to protect you from posting embarrassing pics.
- Facebook has new advertising and privacy settings. What do we need to know?
- Are Microsoft and Facebook parting? What are the implications of becoming competitors?
- 2015 innovation will be on the “third platform.” What will we see?
- How are e-retailers gouging shoppers? What can we do to avoid being overcharged?
Consumer Electronics Show Preview
New Gadgets To Watch For
- Amazon Echo is the new Siri for the home: Ask for music, facts, time, weather, more.
- SmartPhone Smellovision.
App of the Month
Most Recent Shows
Kojo chats with the man behind a film screening at Filmfest D.C. that documents the history of the American invasion of Grenada through the eyes of one family's story.
In the wake of another Metro meltdown this week, Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld is rolling out a plan to revamp funding for the troubled transit system.
Back in town to promote his new album, "The Iceberg," at D.C.'s 9:30 Club, hip hop artist Oddisee talks to Kojo about how the D.C. region and its music inspire his work.