Kojo speaks with Maryland's Attorney General Brian Frosh about his office's expanded powers granted in the most recent General Assembly session. We also discuss the latest plan to make Metro solvent with Metro Board member and Arlington County Board member Christian Dorsey.
With the last swallow of pumpkin pie, the holiday shopping season is upon us. Do you know someone who’d like a ride on a hoverboard? Or someone who’d enjoy a ring that communicates with her smart phone and vibrates or lights up when a text or call comes in? Maybe you’re simply looking for a new smart phone or gaming console. From one-of-a kind items to routine upgrades, the Computer Guys and Gal are here with gift ideas for the techies on your list.
- Allison Druin WAMU's Computer Gal; Director of the Human-Computer Interaction Lab and Professor in the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland
- John Gilroy WAMU Computer Guy; Director for Business Development for BLT Global Ventures
- Bill Harlow Hardware and Software Technician for MACs & PCs, Mid-Atlantic Consulting, Inc.; and WAMU Guest Computer Guy
From The Blog: 9 Gifts For The TechHeads In Your Life
Tech In The News
The Computer Guys and Gal point to the biggest tech headlines this month.
The dark consequences of algorithms: When you automate the interpretation of big data, it can have unintended consequences, like flagging innocent people
as criminals—and leaving the burden upon them to clear their names.
How Google learns everything about you: The Washington Post has a great summary of what Google can learn about you as well as how they learn it.
- Welcome to the ubiquitous world of targeted advertising
- Delete Uber? How will millennials get around?
- Could Wearables Be Free In Exchange For Your Information?
- If smart phone sales are any indication, 800 million people are getting smarter
Tech to fight Ebola: Chris Fabian, once a guest on Kojo’s show, leads an amazing innovation group at UNICEF that has been using low-end cellphones with kids to text questions about Ebola and dispel bad info about the illness. It’s a feel-good story of what could/should be done to make the world a better place!
iPHONE 6+ is a 10+: I love the size, the screen, the ApplePay, and even the way the icons drop down to the bottom when I double-click the button so I can have better access to them. It’s the first phone I’ve had in a while that random people ask to see and hold. Someone called it an iPad Mini-Mini. It’s a great little/big thing!
Most Recent Shows
Kojo chats with the man behind a film screening at Filmfest D.C. that documents the history of the American invasion of Grenada through the eyes of one family's story.
In the wake of another Metro meltdown this week, Metro General Manager Paul Wiedefeld is rolling out a plan to revamp funding for the troubled transit system.
Back in town to promote his new album, "The Iceberg," at D.C.'s 9:30 Club, hip hop artist Oddisee talks to Kojo about how the D.C. region and its music inspire his work.