Scientists are warning that communities near the Chesapeake Bay are at risk because rising sea levels. Last week, public officials joined environmentalists to explore how businesses and institutions in Annapolis, including the Naval Academy, could be affected by rising waters and potential floods. Join Kojo as explore what communities are doing to prepare for the potential effects of climate change throughout the Chesapeake watershed.
Maryland’s political attention may be focused on it’s top-of-the-ballot races, especially after a prominent Democrat endorsed a Republican for U.S. Senate. But voters will also choose their leaders in host of other offices, from Lieutenant Governor to County Executive. We explore the other races to watch on the Maryland Politics Hour.
- Isiah Leggett Democratic Candidate for Montgomery County Executive; former Councilman, Montgomery County Council; former Chairman, state Democratic Party, Professor, Howard University Law School
- Chuck Floyd Republican Candidate for Montgomery County Executive
- Kristen Cox Republican Candidate for Lieutenant Governor; Maryland State Disabilities Secretary
- Anthony G. Brown Democratic Candidate for Lieutenant Governor; Member, Maryland House of Delegates (Dist. 25, Prince George's County)
- Wayne Curry Former Prince George's County Executive
- Robin Ficker Independent Candidate for Montgomery County Executive
- Bruce DePuyt Host of "NewsTalk," News Channel 8
Most Recent Shows
By visiting Africa this month, President Obama is drawing attention to one of the diplomatic tools that most directly shapes America's relationships with other countries: foreign aid and assistance. But now all policy makers at home feel the United States is pursuing the soundest strategy when it comes to providing aid abroad. We explore the issue with the official in charge of the Africa portfolio for the United States Agency for International Development.
Professional photographers give us the latest on cameras, smart phones and shooting tips for great vacation photos this summer -- and every day.
August marks the 70th anniversary of the use of nuclear bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Even before those events, civil rights and anti-colonial activists were linking racial issues to anti-nuclear advocacy. We consider that history of opposition to the bomb from the likes of Bayard Rustin, Paul Robeson and Malcom X and apply that historic context to the recent news of the Iran nuclear deal.